10 November 2009

My Latest Read...And Homemade Kahluha Anyone?

Today is "In The Kitchen" Tuesday, and I just happen to not be running around like a chicken without a head at the moment.  Finally!

A few days ago I stopped by the local library to pick up season 1 of Torchwood.

The library is such a good source of free enterntainment!

I've recently finished rereading the Little House On The Prairie series and honestly, I'm a little glum about it.  I really didn't think there was anything else that could fill my brief daily reading time with the same quality levels of inspiration and happiness.  But after grabbing Torchwood, I found myself wandering through the library, nevertheless.  As I drifted towards the painfully tiny craft section, I briefly thought of trying to find Barbara Kingsolver but gave up the thought immediately.  Due to some serious funding issues, our libraries in Ohio are lucky to even still be in operation at the moment.  None of the computers work any more ...

They're all posted with sticky notes that mention "due to catastrophic computer failure"  the computers are unusable.  It's been that way for at least 2 months.  I suspect the I.T. person's been cut back.

and no one can look up where anything is.  You just have to guess and search.  I didn't know where to begin to find Barbara so I gave up.  And then suddenly, in the gardening section

right next to the absurdly tiny craft section

there it was.  Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.  No, I hadn't read it yet.  So of course I picked it up. Now, I'm seriously resisting the urge to echo back to you everything I've been reading.  It's that good.  But of course that would be unfair to Barbara.  And it would take forever.  I have so many things swirling in my head...like MSG is a sorry (and cancerous) imitation of the taste of asparagus.  Or like, the North American diet now originates from only eight plant sources, if that, as opposed to hundreds a century ago.  While people lavish the endangered panda with attention and funding, plant varieties...food...not weeds...are disappearing faster than Coca Cola from the grocery store.  There's so much more, really.  Like why high fructose corn syrup ended up in everything.  And, all throughout, there is the unmistakable impression that the world and its gifts to humanity is a wild, beautiful miracle, not of the coincidental nature.  So, if you like food and a good read, give it a shot.  Read the book.



*****

And since I haven't really shared anything of real kitchen-use, I now present you with something so easy...so delicious and decadent...so much better than its mass-produced counterpart...

HOMEMADE KAHLUHA

Ingredients:

Patience  (The longer it sits, the better it tastes.  After one year, it's heavenly.  Plan ahead.)
1 and 2/3 cup vodka (151 proof works best, but whatever.)
1/4 cup brewed coffee (As always, the good organic stuff works best...leave out the Maxwell House.)
4 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups basic (See below for basic recipe. Don't worry; it's easy.)

Mix all the ingredients in a dark, amber colored bottle, cap, and let it sit for as long as you can stand to wait.  If you're short on amber bottles, Put the the mixture into a clear bottle, and store in the dark.

Makes a superb White Russian, is great in coffee, or drizzled on ice cream.

Basic Recipe

3 cups white sugar
3 cups brown sugar
3 cups water

Bring to a boil and continue boiling for five minutes.  Remove from heat.

***The purity of organic ingredients will significantly improve the taste...especially the sugar and the coffee.  And as always, leaving out pesticides, petrochemicals, and additives are better for you, your family, and your guests.***

6 comments:

Char said...

this sounds like a very easy recipe. i always swear i'm going to make it.

i love just milk with it - over ice. it's like a decadent milkshake.

Claire said...

I love anything written by Kingsolver, but the one your reading is my fave.

Are you on Goodreads yet?

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

The Kingsolver book sounds right up my alley. If one only checks food labels...which we always do..everything contains corn syrup! And we wonder why America is having such a rise in diabetes and weight.

Love the kahlua recipe...I'd be lacking in the first ingredient and need to work on that one ;)

corabela said...

Char, it's easy. You'll LOVE it.

And Claire, I had no idea? We know each other but I don't think we really know each other. I wish we lived closer. You make me smile. And what's Goodreads?

Alicia, you should check it out. You'll be hooked. And I don't think you have to actually wait a year. I'm sure it will be good if you wait even a week. It just continues to improve if you have the patience. If not...oh well. I'm sure you'll enjoy it anyway!

julochka said...

mm, i've got to try that. i always make homemade bailey's at christmas, but never kahlua (or however it's spelled).

and if you want to read scary things about the food supply, try michael pollan's in defense of food. i love barbara's book, tho' i think it's easier to do all of that if you are totally set financially and can spend all of your time canning...or at least that's what i felt when i originally read it a year or so ago.

corabela said...

I'll have to check that one out next...I'm very interested. And I don't really mind spending all my time canning (in late summer) but I agree with you. It is difficult to eat 100% locally on smaller income.

I'm happy to report that my husband and I are so committed to eating pure food that despite our financial situation, we've still managed to stay 100% organic. It's not easy.