08 January 2010

Storm Travels

I just happened to be in town yesterday afternoon when the storm hit.  I was supposed to be at work, an hour from home but I'd left early to take care of some family business.  And I thought I got lucky.  I thought, "It'll stop by Friday morning and I'll be fine to drive in to work about noon."  Well, the storm continues and we're expecting four more inches and I need to leave for work in a couple hours.  Driving in snow is scary.  But for me, driving in snow (or rain) in the dark is terrifying.  I can't.  See.  Anything.  And I'm working until about 9pm.  I'm really hoping I can make it home.

My husband (who really, really loves me) has offered to come get me tonight, but then I'd have to leave my car.  My car is a diesel and in temps this bone-chillingly cold, I need to plug in the block heater of the car in order to start it after it's been sitting all night.  So if Brendan brings me to work on Saturday morning, when I try to leave Saturday evening, I don't know if the car will start.

For the record:  I AM NEVER GOING TO WORK THIS FAR FROM HOME IN THE WINTER TIME ANOTHER YEAR OF MY LIFE.

I hate driving in the snow.  I hate not being able to stay home because I don't feel safe.  What if I wreck my car???  I NEED my car to get to work which I NEED to do to pay for groceries!!!!!

Alright.  No what if's.  The bottom line is I need to make it to work today.  And I need to somehow make it home.  If only the weather would just cooperate.  Maybe I can talk to it and convince this arctic air to move on and let us thaw out for a while.  Funny...even as I type this, I actually see sunshine outside.  But it's still snowing.  Well...it's a start anyway.

3 comments:

corabela said...

Okay...nevermind! The universe loves me. : ) Training is cancelled. I'm working here in town today. I love how things just work out.

Char said...

glad the universe loves you - driving in the snow is very scary.

Indie said...

I live on the relatively balmy north coast of California, and for some reason this winter, I have been feeling envious of people with snow and winter weather. But I think I should just be counting my blessings... of course.

Glad things worked out for you and glad youre blogging again.